Re: [OM] Agfa Scala 200x

Subject: Re: [OM] Agfa Scala 200x
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 21:06:06 +0000
Yes, I use Scala, although not in an OM, but in a ZI Contax IIIa rangefinder. For a transparency it has above average latitude, excellent mid-tones which have not gone muddy on me, and it's very fine grained. I'd rate it just slightly coarser than Kodachrome 64, and IMO the grain, if you enlarge enough to get to it, is relatively soft, not harsh. I've used yellow, green and red filters with it . . . with the expected results making it predictable. IMHO, it's unfortunately one of the better kept secrets among the B/W films.

I do not have a scanner but have PhotoCD's made at a not quite so nearby pro lab in Indiana. I buy the film from B&H with the mailers for the Florida lab which can process it. It's slightly cheaper than buying the film from B&H and paying the lab directly for some reason. The slides come back mounted in generic cardboard frames.

Following are several images on my web site done using Scala 200X that will give you some idea of what it can do and how it hi-res scans (PhotoCD).
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax18.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax19.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax21.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax22.html