Re: [OM] eBay Buy It Now

Subject: Re: [OM] eBay Buy It Now
From: mnmitch <mnmitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:55:10 +0000

Mark Dapoz wrote:

> I managed to grab the varimagnifinder, but very shortly afterwards I got
> the following email from the seller:
>
>    Dear Friend,
>
>    There was an error in the ebay software that listed the OM angle finder
>    with the buy it now price of $30.00.

<snip>

I purchased a Zuiko 135 f2.8 for $30 on a Buy It Now deal about a month
ago. When I e-mailed the buyer
to give him some info, he replied with a "what is the deal with this
lens?" query.
Stated that 20 people had e-mailed him about the lens within 10 minutes
of his listing.
I replied that it was a good deal for a sight unseen lens and let it go
at that.
Could be that he recieved an e-mail from someone asking how he could
sell something like that so cheap and the guy realized he goofed up on
his price.

The guy that sold me the 135 went through on the deal. He owned a second
hand store and knew absolutely nothing about cameras. He described the
lens as absolutely perfect, like it just came out of the box. When it
arrived it was a 10 cosmeticly,but it had been setting with the lens
mount up with no rear cap and the rear element was covered in a layer of
dust and dirt. That cleaned up well enough to notice a nice blue hazy
blotch on the inside of the rear element. I disassembled the lens enough
to get the rear element out and it cleaned up perfectly. I e-mailed the
seller back and told him of the condition of the lens and explained that
a camera lens is designed to look through and not look at. He replied
that in the future he would have all his camera gear checked by a camera
shop before listing the conditions and about a week later I received a
check from him for half of the purchase price of the lens. I never asked
him for any money back, so I did the right thing and cashed it promptly.
I guess he figured that I saved him some grief further on down the road.

later,
mike m.