[OM] Night exposures

Subject: [OM] Night exposures
From: "Mickey Trageser" <mickeytr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 12:02:00 -0800
Hi folks. I'll be going to Paris and London in a few weeks. I'm taking a
tripod and a variety of film speeds of Supra (100, 400 and 800). I'll be
using my OM4 and OM2(not S) bodies and am curious about metering night
scenes. I see 2 basic scenarios:

1 is where the majority of the frame is night sky, with some light portions,
such as the Eiffel tower and the reflections on the Seine. Should I average
meter, and adjust -1 or -2 stops to ensure the lighted areas aren't washed
out? Should I spot meter the tower and go with that?

The other is where the majority of the frame is a lighted building. Should I
average meter and adjust +1 or +2 stops to ensure that brightness of the
building isn't rendered as a middle exposed area, leaving no highlights and
losing shadow detail? Should I spot meter a medium lighted area of the
building and accept the result?

I'd like suggestions for both average and spot use since I have one body
capable of average and one capable of both.

I plan to use the faster films for hand held shots indoors, mostly. And the
100 for anything outdoors, day or night. I am commited to the negative
films, as I have no application for slides.

Also, I have the following lenses to select from, most are not Zuiks.
17mm3.5, 24mm3.5, 28mm3.5z, 28-200mm3.8-5.6, 50mm1.4z, 135mm3.5z, 500mm8. I
plan on taking the 17, 24, 28-200, and 500. Though the 50 is tempting for
lowlight.

Thanks for any suggestions, guidance or links regarding my questions.
Mickey