Re: [OM] Night exposures

Subject: Re: [OM] Night exposures
From: rudy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Ruediger Betzold)
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 21:08:56 +0100 (MET)

> 1 is where the majority of the frame is night sky, with some light portions,
> such as the Eiffel tower and the reflections on the Seine. Should I average
> meter, and adjust -1 or -2 stops to ensure the lighted areas aren't washed
> out? Should I spot meter the tower and go with that?

12 years ago I was in Paris and had only an OMPC (40) and a 4.0/ lens
with me, night shots of Eiffel tower (takeing 1/4 up to 2/3 of picture frame)
only by hand stopping on 'B' between 5 and 10 seconds with  a 100 film
nice shots, I took even some without a tripod with 1 second - looks a little
bit blured/dusty but nice. You will not believe how bright the Eiffel tower is.

With a OM4 with spot metering you should get very nice night pictures.
Done this (spot metering) some years ago in Hamburg harbour with
sailor ships and their thin wires and masts. Set between two and four spots
some of them with additional highlight spot. All were great. (100 film)
(And I had the OM4 just two days before that bought and broke the
never shot with a new system difficult pictures rule with success...).

In the last 8 or so years most of my best night shots were done
by setting on 'B' and letting the  shutter non deterministic open with
a cable release. (Even after I got the OM4) - OK to be fair the spot
thingy is at diffcult situations at night a great help, one reasons
why I bouhgt this baby.

Rudy
  Berlin/Germany