Re: [OM] Mmmmmm1

Subject: Re: [OM] Mmmmmm1
From: "dolphans1" <dolphans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:55:09 -0600
Well, I researched the 350mm lens and made several phone call to Olympus
America about 3 years ago. It's not scientific.

I mentioned the # 50 because that is what I heard through the grapevine.

I was told, and again, take this for what it is worth, (hearsay evidence
does not weigh in court) that the 350mm was a special order lens. They only
made "around" 500 when they were originally produced.

Olympus America, NY  keeps a few in stock. How many? Try getting parts for
the 350mm, it's a whole different story...

I stated in that conversation with the Olympus Rep, that it seemed hard to
believe that so few of these lenses would be made, and the gentleman I spoke
to went on to say that it takes 1 years worth of labor to produce that lens,
from start to finish. (in other words, very expensive to produce) I am not
certifying this to be truth, I am just repeating what I have been told by a
reputable Olympus rep.

I believe if you call Olympus America, they only have 3 or so Olympus 350's
in stock, that are new.

Try calling B&H Camera and see if you can purchase ten - 350mm Olympus
lenses and see what they say.

I agree it seems hard to believe, but then think again, you never see much
of them. (ebay doesn't count)

I read somewhere that ebay in a way "diminishes" the rarity of an item,
because if there is only 50 available of a particular item, world-wide, the
rarity in a way becomes a little lessened because you have seen the item, an
item you may have never come across  in a life-time.

So the word "rarity" becomes a little more vague when applied.

An M-1 is a rare camera compared to the OM-1. I believe I have personally
seen 3-4 come across ebay and/or the internet in about 2 years. ( that I
recall seeing), and some were overseas. (not in USA)

With that stated, does the M-1 become less rarer with the perception that
another M-1 may come across one of those internet auction sites in the
immediate future? Who's to say?

It's all relative, I assume...

Sam..