Re: [OM] learning guides?

Subject: Re: [OM] learning guides?
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 09:22:10 +0000 (UTC)
Hey Eric,

In a past (and to some extend present) job, I developed software. In the
process of developing software, there is a fairly  well established
pratice, which also extends to photography. It goes fairly like that:

        1. design
        2. implement
        3. execute
        4. test & evaluate
        5. repeat from 1 ad infinitum ;)

Everyone probably knows this to some scale at least: write the program,
compile (and the compiler provides formidable critics of at least the
syntax *grin*), and then return to the editor to fix the almost inevitable
obvious bugs ;)

When I take pictures, I do roughly the same: I think before I compose the
picture (design), set exposure and focus (implement), press the shutter
(execute), develop the picture and look really carefully (my spouse and
in-laws make for wonderful critic of my pictures when my own
critical senses fail to suffice). And then next time I take a pictures, I
try to learn from the critics before I hit the shutter.

I am also one of the nut-cases, who keep a log on what films go through
which camera with which lens etc. And I also jot down if I do something
"extrodinary" in a specific situation.

Of course, there are several good books on the technical merits. However
the biggest difficulcy is (imo) not the technical issues, rather it is
composing the picture well.

So I guess all I said is that experience - gained in a somewhat
systematical way - is what I reccomend.

--thomas

On 3 Mar 2001, Eric Jackson wrote:

> Hey guys, another question for you. How did you guys learn to capture
> life the way you saw it on a camera? What is the best way to fully
> understand an OM camera and how to use it? I realize use and experience
> are vital but are there any techniques or guides to learning the system
> a little early. Seeing that I don't have my own OM yet I'm wondering if
> there are any good manuals or guides, even videos that you would
> recommend to someone interested in learning. Thanks
> Eric Jackson

Mange hilsner / Sincerely

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)