Re: Sv: [OM] Dead OM-4 ?

Subject: Re: Sv: [OM] Dead OM-4 ?
From: wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:56:46 +1100
Bernd wrote:

> checked it with my OM4Ti (I don't own a 135 though, but used a 75-150) and
> found out that if there is linkage crossing in the apertue coupling, this can
> only happen if the protruding pin of the lense's aperture control is bended.
> There is no way to see it, anyhow.

So it isn't visible from the film gate side on "B".

> Have you tried to move the aperture ring from fully open to fully closed? If
> that is possible, there should be no crossed aperture coulping problem.

Have to check this out tonight (should have brought it in to the office !).

> Does the viewfinder exposure time bare move corresponding to the aperture
> when you turn the aperture ring? This might indicate that the camera aperture
> sensor is not stuck, e.g. due to a crossed ap. link.

No electonic functions at all in its present state, not even viewfinder
illumination.

> There is another chance to see whether the mirror is locked: try to face the
> camera against a strong lamp. If you see a fresnel pattern of the spot mirror
> in the viewfinder, the mirror has got stuck.

It appears that the mirror is down a little, but won't go right down.

> I hope this helps you - at least to get a clue of the problem. I don't advise
> you to use force.

If I can't sort it out tonight it will go in for repair - it probably is in
need of a CLA anyhow - don't know for sure as I've only had it a few months.

...Wayne