Re: [OM] Just my luck or Theres no fool like an old fool

Subject: Re: [OM] Just my luck or Theres no fool like an old fool
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 22:02:55 EDT
In a message dated 5/20/01 6:14:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
gwsears@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Upon opening the package and fearing the worst, was what was left
>  of a 300/4.5, in two pieces. Yes it was broken in half.

If, as Tom says, the shipping box is reasonably intact, with no sign of being
thrown (I used to work for the USPS -- I've seen employees toss parcels
incredible distances into carts with other parcels in them... or was it
UPS?), you have good reason to return said lens demanding full refund... and
THEN post negative feedback on a mis-represented item AND write an e-mail to
eBay about this experience, suggesting this seller be banned for this stunt.

If the seller doesn't respond to your e-mails in a reasonable time, I would
notify eBay.  Meanwhile, I would send him one more very strongly worded
e-mail, simply re-stating the condition of the lens, and your desire to
return it for a refund, that you don't want to have to resort to eBay's other
measures, etc.

I had one seller take about three weeks to respond to the end of auction.
Didn't answer e-mails for over a week.   He finally came through with the
item.  Just on his own schedule.

It's POSSIBLE the seller has left town on a business trip, vacation, etc.
But if he has items up for auction that are closing in the meantime, what
gives?  And like Tom said, the 300/4.5 is a pretty solid beast.  To break it,
you'd just about have to totally destroy the shipping box.

$12 shipping?  Did that include insurance?  Is it possible he shipped it
broken, expecting you to claim postal or UPS insurance rather than go through
the hassle of return and refund?  If the shipping box is relatively damage
free, I would notify postal inspectors (if shipped USPS) about this guy.  If
that's his game, he deserves to be not only banned from eBay, but prosecuted
for attempted fraud as well.

Please do keep us posted, and share the seller name with the list so others
can avoid this guy in the meantime.  Sounds like a candidate for Yahoo's
eBay Scum site (<A HREF="http://www.egroups.com/group/EbayScum";>eGroups :
EbayScum</A> ).

Rich