Re: [OM] Affordable OM body CLA?

Subject: Re: [OM] Affordable OM body CLA?
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 12:35:29 +0200 (CEST)
Bernd,

Olympus Denmark have qualified staff, who are willing to work on most any
OM you can come up with (save for the 2000, which they will not touch,
afak). They've been CLAing a few of my cameras, including the trusty OM1
and 2, and I have been satisfied with their work. They don't take cameras
directly, though, you have to go through a shop. The hardest part can
sometimes be to actually convince the shop that yes, such an "antique
camera" can actually still be repaired.

In Aalborg, where I know you are and where I am on occation for work, I've
thus far been using Gerlach foto (near Budolfi). Mostly because it seems
to be the only shop in that town, where some of the staff actually knows
what a camera is (as opposed to just blindly throwing p&s at their
customers). I do not know if they add a huge overhead to the repair-price
from Olympus.

In any event, I have my cameras CLA'ed on a regular maintenance schedule
(about every 2-3 years), and thus far I have not been dissatisfied with
the service of Olympus DK.

(Of course to a *real* danish guy, Oly DK being located in Sjælland, even
shipping the camera off to there can be considred as "of the continent").

--thomas

ps: Bernd, I will be in Aalborg mid-june.

On Mon, 28 May 2001, Bernd Möller wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> So I'm back on the list after a short vacation, riding our bikes and shooting
> some rolls of film. My OM 2 had a hard time keeping sand out of it's body on
> the beach, being knocked onto some old german bunkers on the shore and almost
> being dropped out of the bag at a crash on a slippery road.
>
> Just almost. It survived all this quite well as it is used to blood, sweat
> and tears from various punk concerts this spring (and many many things
> before, as the marks and minor dents from the past 25 years tell me). I
> sometimes ask myself for how long this can go on. The OM 2 simply is my
> workhorse.
>
> Anyway, I wondered where I can find a trusty, cheap and qualified CLA
> service, IF the unspeakable should happen one day and my OM 2 will quit
> working. I live in Denmark, visit Germany quite regularly and would not like
> my camera to leave the continent. I heard about a company in Hamburg, but
> cannot fint their address.
>
> Does anybody have a clue, please?
>
> Best regards
>
> Bernd