Re: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing

Subject: Re: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:41:48 -0700 (PDT)
> "Richard F. Man" wrote:
> > Something I always wanted to ask. Lets say if I am slightly
> nearsighted. If
> > I don't use the dioptic (?sp) adjustment, I can still get a
> the focusing
> > screen "in-focus." But is the image really in focus in that
> case?

If you can see the viewfinder image get into focus then you are
OK.  There is no way that you can look at the image with a
different focus point than the focus screen, unless the screen
is clear with no matte surface--which turns it into nothing else
but another optical element.

Olympus focus screens are set to an apparent optical distance of
around 2 Meters.  No matter what distance the camera is from the
subject being focused on (inchs or miles), the viewfinder's
optical distance always remains the same.

A diopter only aids the EYE in focusing on the focus screen.  I
too am slightly nearsighted and I use -1 diopter in my cameras.
Without the diopter, the image in the viewfinder remains a
little mushy even when in focus.  With the diopter I can plainly
see when it pops into focus.

I wear glasses now, but when shooting I tuck them safely away in
their case.  I've become quite dependant upon my diopter
correction and for my eyesight, the 2meter distance hits me
right at my worst possible viewing distance.

Ken N.