Re: [OM] Re: framing

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: framing
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 23:06:44 +0000
At 01:06 8/17/01, Joel Wilcox wrote:
From: "Sue Pearce"

Except for the part about the Plexiglas (don't we have some diverging
opinions about this!), What Joel Said!
his plan for attaching the print to the backing, and adding the matte is
precisely the process used by museums and the like for valuable photos and
prints. also the part about cutting mattes. This can take a little practice.
[snip]

Glass is the ne plus ultra. I would never say plexi is superior to glass, but I find it easier to work with, much lighter, less dangerous, shippable, and no one has ever looked at anything I've framed with it and said, "Let me see, there's something wrong here." The relative benefits of plexiglas are not insignificant, but I would certainly agree that glass is better in an absolute sense. Actually, it's possible that for John's purposes using plexi might be viewed as crass. I'm sure glass is the museum standard and should probably be adhered to.

Joel W.

Ordered the frames with the plexiglass (a minor part of the cost). I'll evaluate it when I get it. Joel mentioned my worry in using it. If it isn't dead flat and doesn't look enough like glass, it will be replaced with glass. Ultimately I like UV glass. Yes, glass alone inherently cuts UV down, but not all of it, and it can be a problem under fluorescent lighting which has a high UV content. Not just the print, but the mat if it's other than white. Saw what happens to pictures hanging in stores with price tags dangling in front of the mat. After a few months the mat fades sufficiently to see a permanent shadow from the price tag. I can see a distinct advantage in plexiglass (or acrylic) for prints that will be shipped though! Visions of a package arriving on someone's doorstep with shattered glass glazing having impaled an expensive fine print gives me shivers.

Several mentioned letting a print "float." I've exchanged prints and mats in frames and use archival mounting corners to let the print float in them. Others will use the traditional hinge with linen tape at one end only, but putting adhesive tape on a print has always bothered me. I've seen what can happen with non-floating prints buckling when the mat and mounting board shrink and swell with temperature and humidity changes. Not a pretty sight. Someone also cautioned about dry mounting high gloss to a board. I allowed a framer to do that with one print for hanging at home. Never again. Very stable foam core board, but it did pick up the a slight amount of texture from the board. And that was a semi-gloss print.

One caution I read last night was about polyester based Ilfochrome Classic and plexiglass glazing. It advised against the combination. Seems the polyester based Ilfochromes can build up a high static charge as can the plexiglass glazing. Glass can too, but not nearly to the extent of plastics. If the print floats enough and the static charge gets high enough, the print can get pulled out from under the mat to the plexiglass! And I thought buckling wasn't a pretty sight. (The stuff I'm having done is on paper based Ilfo.)

Thanks,
-- John