Re: [OM] Re: Cautionary Tale or I'M AN IDIOT!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Cautionary Tale or I'M AN IDIOT!!!
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 19:58:52 -0700 (PDT)
Dear All,

I almost junked some perfectly good silver oxide batteries the other
day. Before setting out on a trip, I checked the batteries in my OM-2S,
using the battery test switch. There was no beep and no lit red LED. I
thought: "Oh, no, not again!" I took them out with a sigh and put in a
fresh pair. I repeated the check and got the same result - these also
appeared to be dead!

Now, I've had shelf-life problems with silver oxides before but I'd
bought these batteries only 2 months previously, on a trip to Sydney,
so I was puzzled. I tested the operation of the camera and it seemed to
work fine. I replaced the first set of batteries and it worked with
those too. It was only the battery test that didn't work.

Then I remembered that I had recently set the audible alarm off - the
beeper that sounds if there is too much light - because I had read that
it can cause the batteries to drain quickly. So, I reactivated the
alarm, by returning the self-timer lever to its central position, and
tried the battery test again. Lo and behold, it worked! I had never
realized, before, that the battery test is deactivated if the alarm is
switched off, even though I've been using that OM-2S since 1985!

Regards,

=====
Ray