RE: [OM] Cost of B+W processing?

Subject: RE: [OM] Cost of B+W processing?
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:50:54 -0600
> The question you didn't ask is what it costs to set up a darkroom. My
> advice is to do it right the first time. Every time I tried to do
> something "on the cheap", I ended up doing it right later and
> spending half again as much as I would have spent if I'd just started
> out to do it right. I probably have $1500-2000 invested in my
> darkroom, and could easily have built the same darkroom for
> $1000-1500 if I hadn't tried to take shortcuts along the way.

 Hm, that's rather discouraging.  I've seen a couple of 'complete darkroom
setups' go past in the classifieds locally for CDN$400 and $250 respectively
in the last few months, and the guy at one of the local used shops claims he
can put together a setup for about $350 or so. If I'm going to end up
spending four times (oh, no, six times, given you're presumably using US
dollars) as much as that in the end, it's suddenly an awful lot less
attractive.

 What did you find was wrong/needed upgrading with a cheaper setup?

 -- dan

 (I should probably just find one of the local photography classes and go
with that, but I have a peculiar builtin desire to learn stuff myself when
at all possible, even when intellectually I know it'll take me twice as long
that way.) (except for welding, where the fear of blowing myself up won out
over the urge to prove my learning ability..)