Re: [OM] Fwd: OT - Brit users beware PayPal "membership"

Subject: Re: [OM] Fwd: OT - Brit users beware PayPal "membership"
From: Neal Jones <njones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 21:49:40 +0000
Chris,
I've only used e*ay as a buyer. It's been a useful way of getting stuff
from US (at much cheaper prices than UK even when you add shipping costs
[and occasionally customs duty]).
However, I became quite embaressed having made rather a lot of US purchases
(for OM stuff of course!) only to find that e*ay restricted my ability to
pay for more than about $70 of kit until I got my Mastercard monthly
account/statement.  The problem was that I had bid for rather more than $70
worth of equipment!!! and was unable to pay using my credit card.  I
managed to delay payment in some cases (avoiding negative feedback, I hope)
and had to join up to BidPay instead to clear my debts.
At the end of the month I thought I'd be OK again, so started to bid once
more, only to find that e*ay needed me to scan a copy of my Mastercard
monthly statement AND an official photograph of myself (e.g. my passport)
before allowing me to pay out.  This led to more delays in sorting out
payment.
I can't understand these obstacles to internet/international trading. I've
just spent £1500 on ferry crossings over the 'phone with Brittany Ferries
using my credit card - no photos, no ID...but can't spend more than $70 on
e*ay!!!!!

If there's an enterprising Zuik out there...buy loads of Oly stuff in the
US, ship it to UK and sell it to me.
There must be someone who can do this!!

Neal
system administrator at: