[OM] shutters

Subject: [OM] shutters
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:22:05 -0600
Here's a question about shutters, probably best answered by John H. As I
recall, he was once employed by Nikon. I remember the early Nikkormats with
the Copal shutters, and how amazing the 125th sync speed seemed.

First, is there a particular advantage, other than sync speed, to the
vertical metal shutter? Is there a particular advantage to the horizontal
cloth shutter?

Is there any way a vertical metal shutter could be installed in an OM3/4
body without a complete, ground up redesign? Does it require more room in
all dimensions?

It seems that the only two current production cameras still using the
horizontal shutters are the OM's and the M6, although one could debate the
status of the OM's as current production, since they are probably just
assembled from parts made years ago.

As the debate about the future of the OM has continued here, I have wondered
if there are two things on paths that will soon intersect: the takeover of
digital for all but specialized photography, and the day when Olympus runs
out of major parts for the OM's. But that's another discussion.

Bill Pearce