Re: [OM] Advising students

Subject: Re: [OM] Advising students
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:17:47 -0800
I would probably have them look at the Nikon FM3a. Availabe new, and not totally
outrageous. Other cameras to look in addition to the FM2 and FM3 that you
mentioned
would be a good used OM1, OM2/2n, Pentax K1000 or MX. For a kid with lots of
potential I would not worry so much about what they start out with. Once they
find
their 'wings' so to speak they will probably move on to soemthing elses anyway.
One
instructor I know encourages the kids to buy basic manual cameras to learn on,
and
when they either decide photography is not for them, decide it is and upgrade he
encourages them to sell the old camera to a new student.

If they are looking to buy their first 'real camera' and planning to hold onto
it, I
would advise essentially waiting, until they have finished the course and have
some
idea what they want to do with photography. This will have a large
determination on
what they should purchase. For example, I love the Olympus system because it
works
well for what I want to do. If my main interest was wildlife photography
though, I
would probably go with a Canon system because of the availabilty of fast, long,
IS
glass.

Jim Couch