Re: [OM] AF vs. MF.. Proof!!

Subject: Re: [OM] AF vs. MF.. Proof!!
From: Matt Crawley <matt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:38:19 -0700
Hi Albert.

olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Well, I saw my sister's wedding pictures taken by the wedding photographer..
> She was using a N*kon F5.  I took the same shots as she did..
>
> I was using Fuji NPC 400, she was on Kodak 200Gold.  (Don't you love how I
> make film sound like illegal narcotics?  "She was on Kodak 200's at the
> time.. " hehehe) well, we compared..  I thought she would have the upper
> hand, I figure Kodak 200 would be a bit less grainy than my 400..  Well...

I have only used Kodak Gold a few times and the results were terrible. All
the colors were WAY over saturated. Seemed like it was film made for low
quality cameras.

> First, my color was much more neutral...

I've used Fuji NPC 800 and the NPH 400 and 800 and IMO they give excellent,
REALISTIC colors.

> Shooting asians with kodak is not that great, everybody turns out more brown
> and yellow than they should.

Hhmmmm, I haven't shot any asians but I will say that the Kodak Portra 400NC
provides good Caucasian colors similar to NPH.

> Second, mine was a LOT (Let me repeat) a LOT sharper.  Her's from an AF
> didn't look that focused.
SNIP
> But when it's all said and done, AF cannot focus as well as an MF.  I was not
> sure about that (as the THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS) of C*non and N*kon
> commercials and ads tell me otherwise...  which contradict what I read on the
> internet...  but now that I had proof in my hot little hands...

Before you place all your faith in that conclusion you need to consider all
the variables. One thing for sure is that you were shooting with faster
film... resulting in less camera shake and a sharper pic, and there is also
the possibility that you had a faster/sharper lens, also resulting in  a
sharper pic. Take a closer look at her prints... are ANY parts of the pic in
focus? If not then it is camera shake that blurred the pic.

Also... Just because a person is a "Pro" doesn't mean that they REALLY know
what they are doing  or that are even trying very hard. To some "Pros",
weddings are just a reliable way to make cash. Payment is virtually
guaranteed, the client has limited options to request a re-shoot and there
is usually free food and drink to boot!

No disrespect to any "Pros" out there that take pride in their wedding pics.
We had a FANTASTIC wedding photographer for our wedding. She shot with 3
Canon EOS bodies and achieved AWESOME results.

Regards.

 - Matt Crawley