Re: [OM] OM 4: dead display?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 4: dead display?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 17:05:10 +0000
Jim,
From what you described it may not be dead. Put the shutter speed ring into one of the electronic shutter speeds, then cycle the mode switch into "battery check" before switching to "auto" or "manual." Putting the shutter speed ring into one of the mechanical "red" positions immediately turns the viewfinder display completely OFF and it cannot be retrieved by partially depressing the shutter release! The shutter speed ring *must* be on one of the electronic speeds for the viewfinder display to activate. You should have to press a very tiny button near the PC socket on the lower left corner of the lens mount to move the shutter speed ring from the electronic shutter speeds into the mechanical ones (red "60" and "B"). It's not required to rotate it back out to an electronic one though.

Under normal operation the viewfinder display is back-lighted by ambient light shining through the narrow white strip of plastic on the front of the prism. If it's dark (as in a darkroom) you won't be able to see the display. The viewfinder illuminator is used to allow seeing the display in darkness. It is activated by a button on the right side of the prism. This turns on a small lamp inside the prism to illuminate the display, and it will remain illuminated for only a few seconds. Using it heavily drains the camera batteries quickly. That's why it turns itself off after a few seconds.

You can find a PDF version of the OM-4 manual here:
  http://www.taiga.ca/~esif/om-sif/bodygroup/om4.htm
  Scroll down to the bottom and use the hyperlink on the left side.

Hope this helps!
-- John