Re: [OM] Chris's trip

Subject: Re: [OM] Chris's trip
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 10:41:18 -0600 (CST)
On Wed, 2 Jan 2002 09:21:58 -0600, Sue Pearce wrote:

>I understand your desire for an SUV, but for long highway drives, they can
>be less comfortable that something like a Lincoln Town Car, or other large
>sedan. The tire noise on some SUV's can be opressive on our less well
>maintained interstates, and as a renter, you take what tires you gets.

As someone who has traveled extensively in SUVs, I can tell you that
they are ideal travel mobiles if you have lots of gear, will be
traveling through potentially less than ideal weather, want to
occasionally venture off the interstate, and enjoy the way they
drive. I've also traveled quite a big in larger cars (my mother
always had a Lincoln or Cadillac in the 60s and 70s), and as great as
they are, they just don't seem to measure up, IMHO.

>Frankly, the drive from Iowa to San Diego will include segments of
>mind-numbing proportions. With all due resepect to my neighbors to the
>north, the drive across Nebraska from Des Moines to Denver will leave you
>suicidal. the money saved could be put toward hotel upgrades, important for
>those long driving segments.

I live in an area that misguided and less creative types sometimes
accuse of being monotonous. I think they just aren't looking. For a
photographer, in particular, the subtle variations in the landscape,
rural oddities, local attractions, etc offer a tremendous resource.
get off the interstate and explore some of the small towns along the
way.

BBB
-
B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx