Re: [OM] Digital camera downfalls (Long)

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital camera downfalls (Long)
From: "Olympus" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 00:02:23 -0800
>Not fair Dave!!
Sarcasm is free, so I am liberal with it!  ;-)

>This is said with a smile (g).  I can only deal with my own little
>photographic universe.  I agree that most people are dumb about photography
>and many other things.  I am shown muddy, out of focus snapshots all the time
>by my fellow workers.  I am always congratulatory about their effort and so
>they aren't offended.  But most aren't photographers, they are snapshooters.
>I am trying to learn to be a photographer!  I am about results.  I don't care
>if the mechanical side is a Cigar Box with a pinhole in it or what!  I just
>know that when I look at photos of my family and especially my exquisitely
>beautiful grand daughter I know that I digitial is outperforming what I can
>get with color negative film and the processing available to me.

See?  We know it's about the person BEHIND the camera that counts the most..
And you obviously care and eleminate yourself as a "snapshooter".  Also, most
people are blind.  I mean, some people can't tell sharp images from a blurry
one.  So unless they are very blurry, they won't know the difference, and
that's what low end camera markets count on.

>I will shoot slides and I will be my harshest critic.  I have much to "learn"
>and for  me that is part of the fun.  The evolution of digital is inevitable.
>If the consumer level results in dumbing down, so be it.  None of us on this
>list are in that category anyway.  I just want to see a good if not great
>result and if you haven't tried one of the better digitals cameras you are
>missing the opportunity to see the future.

I will try them.  The digital SLR's look great.  They will probably sit side by
side with my OM later.  BUT, until then, when I'm out in the desert, I will
take a mechanical camera, thank you...

Dave Dougherty