Re: [OM] A good tripod?

Subject: Re: [OM] A good tripod?
From: Charles Sdunek <charles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:32:28 -0500

Isn't it just a thing where you put your camera, so it doesn't shake when
you take the picture?

You have it figured out. Now if you can show me a cheap plastic one which will accomplish this, I'll buy it. My experiece has been that the cheap plastic ones just don't get the job done and I've tried a couple of them. There are tripods, like the Tiltall, which offer the stabilty you would want and won't bankrupt you. This is not the one I use most often however it is one that has served me for over 30 years. It's about $100 +. Bill Barber

I also have tried several of the low cost tripods. I find the thin aluminum legs to be shakey, some more than others...but what I have noticed as the real downfall of these, is the plastic heads. On a calm day, they would probably suffice if it were not for the flex in the heads. Since I am cheap, I could not let myself buy a nice tripod and ball head, so I did the next best thing. I went to the salvation army thrift store and found a wonderful old aluminum tripod. It is made by safe-lock, pneumatic flip-lock model PT-X. I love this tripod, it's leg locks are small levers at the top of the legs that make it so I never have to bed over. It has a huge machined head on it and is steady as a rock. It's light enough to haul around on the outside of my pack but sturdy enough to mount my crown graflex 4x5 on. The only thing that could be better is if it collapsed smaller. I truly love this thing..even if the bottoms of the legs have been spray painted orange over the beautiful blue anodizing. I think it would probably strip off with a little solvent. Oh, and the best part? 5 bucks. If memory doesnt fail me, I slept with it for the first week and a half.

Charles