RE: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of the OM series

Subject: RE: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of the OM series
From: "Robert R. Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:54:37 -0600
<snip>

I would tend to agree with you, except these features are
"quality of life" features which not only make our jobs easier
in high-pressure, rapidly changing environments (when you can't
always think), but is part of the standard feature set of what
is now considered to be a professional camera.

Maybe, but has the Leica M series changed much?

<snip again>

Even though the '80s state-of-the-art may be good enough for your
shooting
style, what it does is limit ourselves to just that shooting
style.  There are times when I am very thankful for these
additional features of my IS-3 and long for them in an OM body.

Well, I guess that is why they developed the IS series.  Great cameras,
but to keep the purity of size, etc. in the OM one would have to live
w/o these features.  There are plenty of N*kons, C*ontax and C*anons
that have all that, but it just wouldn't be the same OM w/ all of those
"features".  It is surprisingly difficult to find something as pure as
the OM system w/o all the extra weight and gadgetry.

Bob Gries