RE: [OM] Don't need no stinking OM-2

Subject: RE: [OM] Don't need no stinking OM-2
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:56:44 -0800 (PST)
> I don't want to suggest that there is a "correct" way to
> shoot, I am
> just describing how I work.

I believe that everyone has a tendency to adapt their working
method to their tools.  I've adapted my working method to the
OM-2S so much through the years that every other camera I've
used has been "compared" to it.  I'm not really saying that the
OM-2S is absolutely the BEST OM ever made, but for me, it
definitely is.

However, lately, with my excessive B&W shooting, the OM-4 tends
to be a bit better because I've found a working method with the
meter that works exactly the way I think about exposing B&W
film.  I am constantly "translating" information from the spot
meter in the OM-2S to my exposing the B&W film.

It is hard to fathom WHY anybody needs program modes, unless you
have actually learned how to use the program modes and adapted
your shooting style to them.  Similar arguments have been made
through the years with every technical advancement and addition
to the cameras.  When cameras started appearing with built-in
meters, the purists claimed that only brainless photographer
wannabes would use them.  A decade later, the same nattering
nabobs of negativism claimed that electronic shutters and
aperture priority or shutter priority auto exposure were for
ninnies.  Not too long after that, these same nabobs were
cursing Program Modes while settling into their auto-exposure
cameras with electronic shutters.  Then came autofocus.
Everybody on this list knows that autofocus is for brainless
photographer wannabes--right?  Oops, we nabobs have autofocus.
Now the battle is Digital Imaging.  Digital Imaging is for
brainless photographer wannabes.

I'm not wanting to be a dinosaur.  I will buy into the
latest/greatest when it makes financial, practical and
operational sense for me to do so.  I have nothing against the
technology advances.  What I have a problem with is the
user-interface.

When the OM-2S was introduced, it and the Canon A1 were the most
advanced cameras at the time.  Didn't take long for them to
become "old-technology".

AG-Schnozzaroo