Re: [OM] OT Software Piracy Rant

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Software Piracy Rant
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:28:49 -0500
I've been a little amused by some of the holier-than-thou comments
on software piracy.  I guess none of you have even a single
shareware program on your computer you use occasionally but never
registered.  And I'm sure you never drive over the speed limit,
which actually is something that makes you more of a criminal
than "stealing" software, which is a misnomer created by the
software industry.

And although it still doesnt make it right, your chances of
winning the Irish Sweepstakes are better than the chances you'll
get sued.  That's one of those urban myths, another fabrication of
the software industry.  I've spent the last 30 years in court day
in and day out.  I have yet to even hear of a single case against
an individual.

I've paid for just about all the software I've got, even all the
crap that never worked right and that there's no support for.
When it comes to computer software, I've been the screwee a whole
hell of a lot more than the screwer.

Yeah, I've got a bootleg copy of some big, fancy photo editing
program.  It took me less than 20 minutes with it to realize I
won't be using it.  And I would never, ever, under any
circumstances buy it, not even if it cost a tenth of what it does,
because I'm a real photographer and I don't need it, so they're
not going to make any money off of me anyway.

I shoot almost nothing but transparencies, occasionally scan one,
and all I need is a program that will let me do a little cropping
once in a while and remove any dust specks picked up in the
scanning process.  Picture Window does that just fine.  It's paid
for and registered.  If you really need all the bells and whistles
and tricks in Photoshop, you might think about trying to become a
better photographer instead.  It is to photography what paint-by-
numbers is to art.  Just my opinion.

I'm going now to seek some cover.  Y'all can heave it my way for a
while.  Have fun. :-)

Walt Wayman