RE: [OM] RE: [OM] WAAAY OT: poison-talk... (wasA RE: [OM] Bears, Water S

Subject: RE: [OM] RE: [OM] WAAAY OT: poison-talk... (wasA RE: [OM] Bears, Water Shots and vacations (long, sorry)
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 16:44:52 +0200
Hi,

> Actually, a fugu can be prepared (by specially trained chefs - the kind
> you do not want to anger...) such that the majority of the poison is
> removed and only enough is left in to, well..., numb your tounge and lips.
>
> Urban legend or not...it can be prepared such that is is harmless. However
> if not correctly prepared it *will* kill....

O.k., so that was the full story there.

> And no, it's not a very delicious taste. It's more of a "been there, done
> that" thing. It doesn't really taste like much in the first place, and
> after numbing your tounge, what would a great taste do anyways?

Good point. One of those "excitingly sounding" been there, done that things
I experienced was in Peru (Cuzco, to be precise), were they gave us tea made
of Coca leaves (which apparently helps to overcome the sudden height
difference more easily), I had read about this in advance in the Lonely
Planet guide and I had wondered what the effect would be. Well, for those
who think they will "overcome the height difference by being taken higher"
will be dissapointed, it's just a rather insipid kind of warm water, with a
small trace of a tea-like taste, that's it. :) I wonder if it did much
against the height thing as well...:)

> Uhh...I am a little bit rusty on Hollywood science here. But I am sure
> that it would have been picked up. Yet the effect of fugu liver is not a
> complete paralysis, so simulation of death would not be efficient. However
> being a somewhat paralysing, I don't think that even zombie-walking would
> be possible.

I believe it was pictured as that the drug would bring the body in a state
that it appeared to be dead (as in: no vitals could be measured) and that
the effect would last for a few days. After the effect wore off, in at least
one of the two (I believe it was in Miami Vice), the person who underwent
the treatment was left in such a state that he appeared zombie-like (not in
the respect that his body was rotting, but in the way he walked and looked,
etc).

>> as well, on Discovery I once heard that adult males put their arm in
boiling
>> water to kill the pain of a centipede bite. Again: not _my_ picknick!!!
:0

> Olafo, you watch waaaay too much tv :)

Hey! How else am I supposed to know about all this stuff???? ;)))

Cheers!
Olafo