Re: [OM] Digital Back, Again

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Back, Again
From: "Mike Cormier" <ronaldcormier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 08:46:38 -0400
According to the last 2 issues of Shutterbug, the future is not in CCD chips at all, but rather in CMOS chips like the X3 produced by Foveon (and now in the latest Fuji pro digi SLR).

With this new technology each chip pixel can read all 3 major colors (red, blue, green), thus a 3MP CMOS chip has about twice the resolution of a CCD chip, or a little over 6MP.

Additionally, these chips are aparently less expensive and can be made as large as 6cm x 6cm or even larger...

Aparently the chip uses the fact that different colors penetrate silicon to different depths, so 3 sensors can be mounted in each pixel space, stacked.

The best article about it was in April's Shutterbug. I'd quote the pages, but I'm at work... :(