Re: [OM] OM-4T Anomaly

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4T Anomaly
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 16:10:54 -0700
Since there is no mechanical connection that could cause the shutter to fire and the OM-4 is an electronic camera, I suspect something is shorting out. I doubt it has anything to do with the DOF button in particular, but just pressing on the lens at that place and angle angle and perhaps with holding the camera a particular way while doing so. The first thing I would try is taking off the winder, since it can fire the shutter and uses electrical connections to the camera that can be intermittant if very slightly damp/dirty/corroded when wiggled by hands flexing around the front and bottom of the camera. Winder connections being randomly connected and disconnected with varying resistance could easily confuse the circuit. Second, I would suspect that there was an intermittant contact or short in the camera that was being flexed by pushing on the lens in the mount.

The DOF linkage is very easy to get at and lube/adjust. You just remove the rear mount and there it is, a very simple mechanical linkage. I bought an 85/2 with a stuck DOF button and was able to free it up easily. Mark Dapoz sent me a scan of the mechanism which I'm sending on to you off list.

Moose

Scott Gomez wrote:

I noticed that the depth-of-field preview
felt slightly "different" from my other lenses. Not stiff or anything like
that, but almost as if there were a slight "detent" part way through its
travel.

Any ideas, anyone? I have no clue how cycling the DOF button could trigger
the shutter.