Re: [OM] OM-4T Anomaly

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4T Anomaly
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 16:38:38 -0500

Scott Gomez wrote:

> While shooting some photos yesterday using my OM-4T....
>
> Playing with the DOF preview button is firing the shutter.
>
> Any ideas, anyone? I have no clue how cycling the DOF button could trigger
> the shutter.

When you press the "shutter release", you're actually releasing the arm that
stops down the aperture and raises the mirror -- once the mirror has been lifted
properly, it will release the shutter.

It appears that the "catch" that's supposed to hold the aperture/mirror arm
isn't holding very well -- probably worn out or slightly out of adjustment, or
perhaps it's "gummy".  On some cameras, you can fire the shutter by just
touching the aperture arm at the side of the mirror box.  "Jiggling" the DOF
button on the lens is having the same effect.

It will need either cleaning, adjusting, or replacement, in order of degree of
difficulty (_I_ would certainly hope for the first!).