Re: [OM] Perils of using non-Olympus lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Perils of using non-Olympus lenses
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 13:32:46 +0200
The problem with Tamron Adaptall adapters is related only to Adaptall-2
adapters, not the original Adaptall. The original Adaptall does not have a
stopdown button, but has only three screws in the mount and is compatible
with OM-3 and OM-4.
Adaptall-2 mounts have four screws, and those that say 'for Olympus OM' on
the mount have a badly placed screw that needs modification before using
with OM-3/4. Those that say 'OL' are normally quite OK with OM-3 and -4,
although I have one 'OL' with a mis-placed screw; it is the only 'bad' 'OL'
that I have seen.
I have only one original Adaptall, without stopdown button, that I use on a
Tamron Mirror lens where the button would not be of any use. I use it on an
OM-4Ti with no problems.

Roger Key

>In the owner's manual for Olympus bodies is a phrase to the effect
>that the use of non-Olympus lenses might break off something on
>the rim and some features will be disabled.  I could have sworn that
>they mentioned spot metering as the feature that could be disabled,
>but maybe that's just senility.  Has this happened to anyone here?
>If so, what brand of lens caused the problem?
>
>Pete

The first version of the Tamron Adaptall had its screws exactly
aligned with the plastic nub on the Olympus protruding through the
lens mount. Shaved it right off. A fix has been to either buy the
Adaptal 2 or to fill the screw holes of the original Adaptall with
epoxy.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California