Re: [OM] New to list - and light travel kit

Subject: Re: [OM] New to list - and light travel kit
From: John Peterson <wwwjohn10@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 17:01:45 -0700 (PDT)
dreammoose wrote:
> The 85/2 exists in both SC and MC versions. If you
are getting a 135/3.5
> (49mm filter), the 85/2 fills in the long gap from
50mm with a first
> class lens and adds some speed at 1 & 2/3 stops
faster than the 135/3.5.
> The 100/2.8 (also both SC & MC) is the super light
kit, one lens,
> solution for moderate tele or can go with the 200/5.
>
> 24mm is a nice fl, but a huge gap from 50mm. A 3
lens kit with primes
> only and one of them a 24mm doesn't make all that
much sense to me. The
> 35-70/3.6 (55mm) is a better lens than the early
50/1.4 &1.8s. The

I hadn't thought about teleconverters, don't think I
will use anything longer than a 135mm, maybe a 200mm.

> Whatever you do that includes a 50mm, make sure you
have a later model.
> If the one you have is an F.ZUIKO, you should test
it carefully before
> relying on it or replace it. I don't know about
later versions of this
> SC lens (I think there were 3 variants), but the
earliest ones are
> pretty crummy lenses by modern standards. The later
'MC' and 'made in

Hmm, my 50/1,8 is an F.Zuiko, made in Japan,
silvernose, I haven't tested it yet. After reading a
bit more I have come up with a new solution, get a
24/2,8, 100/2,8 and a 35/2,8 and bring my existing (or
a new) 50/1,8 when I feel like it. The 35/2,8 will
then become my standard lens for travelling, too bad
the 35/2 takes 55mm filters (I got my mind set on 49mm
filters now, I will not mix 49 & 55 :-)

The silvernose looks extremely good, much better than
the 28/2,8.. Are all silvernose-lenses bad performers
(relatively speaking)?

Thanks again for the long and thoughtful reply.