RE: [OM] Digital photography article

Subject: RE: [OM] Digital photography article
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:37:58 -0700 (PDT)
>What the article said was that one
>could digitize the artist's final print and then
>reproduce it on (the same kind?) negative film from
>which you could make multiple prints with all the
>dodging and burning adjustments built in. The artist's
>creativity and vision was permanently captured.

I've had to do something similar with a particular color picture
I took years ago.  The negative had been damaged with a
multitude of scratches and other debris. We printed it on a
16x20 and I spent a small fortune having it air-brushed.
Afterwards I had multiple negs and trannies made for future
reproduction.  I have sold numerous copies of this print, but
the original hangs with pride on my living-room wall.  Without
the air-brushed "master" this would have been a wasted shot that
would have been delegated to the woulda-coulda bin.

Digital editing of a picture is perfectly valid.  Getting it
back into film format requires either a film writer or a good
copy camera setup.

As far as B&W burning and dodging and the repeatability...

One of the sell-points that I use with my B&W work is that each
is hand-made and unique.  Every time the "score" is played, it
will always be an unique "performance."  I don't know about you,
but I prefer artwork that I know the artist personally put
effort into, not just a mass-produced repro with "683/1000"
printed on it.  Besides, I bore easily and I'm a
perfectionist--never am I completely satisfied with a print and
I'm always changing and trying to improve it.  Printing B&W to
me is kinda like playing Jazz--you kinda have a direction that
you are going but you never know exactly how you're gonna get
there.

Thought:  An original print establishes a relationship between
artist and viewer.

AG-Schnozz