[OM] Quick Question no.2 - storage of prints

Subject: [OM] Quick Question no.2 - storage of prints
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:15:49 +0100
Hello Again,

Next quick question for you.  I'm after a general concensus here of what
everyone thinks is generally best.  Thought it followed quite well from the
general discussion on here recently about the degradation of prints / negs.

I have a number of prints which I have just been sitting in the wallets they
came back from the developers in.  In fact, to be honest, most of them.
Since about 1986.  That's quite a lot of films - not many by the standards
of some of you guys, but enough for me to be sitting here at them thinking
"damn, I really should have done something about this ages ago" !!

So, I've started sorting through them, and am looking at types of Photo
albums to put them in.  So far my choices boil down to the follwing ...

1) The type which you slip the photos into, with clear plastic pockets.
Seems good to protect the paper, but not "enclosing" it thus protecting it
from air, etc.
2) The type with the gentle sticky stuff on the pages and a sheet of plastic
which gets pulled over the top.  This would provide a plastic cover for the
photos and completely enclose them, protecting them from air, dust, etc.
3) The plain "traditional" type with paper pages and a kind of tissue-paper
layer between each page.  These look good but offer no protection at all to
the prints.

The negative points of each are as follows ...

1) You can't display the shots side-by-side, or in "panoramic" type views,
like you can with 2) and 3).  Edges of the photos could yellow, etc., as
they react with air more than the rest of the print.
2) That glue worries me.  A lot !!  And the 2 that I've had for a couple of
years (with some particularly nice shots in) the plastic covers have
wrinkled very badly.  And these were expensive albums, not cheap ones.
3) Obviously no protection at all with this type.

Any thoughts on the above 3 systems I've seen and tried, or on any other
systems you use, greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon