[OM] In praise of Tamron lens caps & etc.

Subject: [OM] In praise of Tamron lens caps & etc.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:40:24 -0800
I just received goodie boxes of bits and pieces from John H. and B&H, what fun!

I recently got a 135/4.5. It's really a lovely package with the 65-112, but the hood and lens cap just don't work together. With the hood on, I can't put the lens cap on, so I bought a Tamron 55mm cap with the pinch from the outside or the center design. An almost perfect design for this hood/lens combo. It's easy to put the cap on or off with the hood in place. I may make it even more perfect by cutting back the outer 'ears' so the hood can be taken off and reversed and vice versa without even removing the cap. Good quality plastic and workmanship too. Maybe it's a good thing they don't make a 49mm version or some of my Zuikos would say Tamron on the front. It's such a superior design that I wonder why one of the aftermarket generic cap makers hasn't copied it. Doesn't say patented on it.

I posted before about needing a hood for the Tokina RMC 28-85/4 lens. I bought a generic 72mm WA rubber hood from B&H. Using the technique I learned from the list, I put an OM-1 with back removed on a light table with the lens and hood on and looked at the light image projected on a piece of paper lying on top of the hood. Not bad at 28mm, could be a bit tighter, but certainly won't vignette and certainly better than no hood.. The effect of movement of the front of the lens as it zooms isn't as effective as on the 35-70/3.6 both because the total movement is less and because the zoom range is greater, but still better than for a zoom with a fixed relationship between FE and hood like most. By the way, the effect even on the Zuiko is not perfect, as the image on the paper 'screen' does diminish appreciably as the lens zooms from 35-70mm.

Moose