Re: [OM] Ebay Jerks and Weasels

Subject: Re: [OM] Ebay Jerks and Weasels
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 11:08:18 -0500
Dear Frank Griffin ,

Take it up IMMEDIATELY with ebay support. They have the power to combat
scams like that by cancelling IDs and/or feedback. But you have to act
within 30 days.

tOM

On Friday, April 04, 2003 at 10:29
Frank Griffin <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    I have had pretty good luck with  buying and selling OM's on ebay,
> until recently. My latest deals have gone rather sour, because of two
> types of scams. Scam # 1 goes something like this: I receive T-32 with
> crack in battery box. This crack is obviously started from the inside of
> box with outward pressure, looks like it was done from user installing
> batteries. I e-mail seller and he says it was perfect when it left so
> just FILE A CLAIM ! with UPS. As far as I am concerned this is dead wrong
> because the box arrived in perfect shape, there was no outside impact and
> UPS did their job as far as I'm concerned. The seller says that is all he
> can do for me so I guess I'm screwed !
>   Scam #2 goes like this: This time a buyer gets a 35-70/3.6 using "Buy
> it Now" for $245.00 from me. I notice that this buyer
> ebay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx has lots of feedback as a seller of camera equipment
> but not much of a track record as a buyer, so I start to worry, I figure
> he intends to sell the lens, but how can he make any money when he paid
> 245.00 for the lens ? In a few days I find out how, its called the shake
> down. He says there is some dust in the lens and goes on about how he
> doesn't know if it can be cleaned and If I refund him $100.00 it will be
> OK. Otherwise I should pay shipping both ways and the refund because the
> lens "was not advertised properly" so which would I rather do? I point
> out that I graded the lens KEH EX in my ad , which states "glass may have
> some dust, but no marks" and I provided a link to my auction page and the
> KEH grade page. His reply is to ignore this fact and say give me $100.00
> and we have a deal.  I feel he is taking advantage of my 1000ositive
> feedback and no questions asked return policy. I would even refund
> shipping if my description was wrong. So do I eat the shipping, or the
> $100.00 or have this guy ruin my feedback if I don't submit to his
> extortion ?
>                                            Frank

---------
2003 Jun 28-30 in
Ottawa:http://www.CanadianCameraConference.ca
tOM Trottier,   ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115 N45.412 W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980