Re: [OM] heavy NPS users?

Subject: Re: [OM] heavy NPS users?
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:12:31 -0800

Greetings fellow OMers;

Next month I'm almost certain to head to humid Houston, TX for a cousin's engagement (who happens to be an OMer (OM1, 50/1.8 silvernose), passed down from his dad; I'm to blame for turning him into a zuikoholic!). I'll be unofficial semi serious photog from our side of the family, and like I've done before, NPS is the way to go.

If you like the Fuji look then there's nothing wrong with NPS at all. NPC might also be worth a tumble if greater contrast is a want.

I'm curious: is your shoot going to be completely outdoors? Indoors with flash? I ask because of the relatively slow speed of your chosen emulsion--I have a personal bias against using flash unless it is absolutely imperative that I do so (i.e., there is no other way to make the picture). With that in mind you might consider carrying a roll or two of NPH 400 or NPZ 800 (I haven't worked with the latter stock yet, but everything I've read and seen of it is thumbs up--again, with that "Fuji look" in mind) for indoor work--or even Fujipress 1600 if yet another stop would be needed.

For myself, I prefer the more laid-back look of Portra when it comes to rendering flesh tones, but that's strictly personal taste at work.

Good luck!

Tris