Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 600mm F8 Cat telelens

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 600mm F8 Cat telelens
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:40:48 -0700
I've used the Vivitar S1 800mm f11 more than the similar 600mm f8. I
wouldn't try to hand hold it or even use a monopod. I find focusing to
be very difficult. The 1-8 seems to be about the best screen to use with
it, however you will want to change out the 1-8 if you use a wide angle
lens. It is useless with wide angle lenses. It would probably be a good
idea to carry two bodies, one with your favorite normal screen, and the
other with the 1-8.

I would probably always if possible try to use a varimagni finder to
focus. Since you can not stop down the lens, any focusing errors can
ruin your photo. The varimagni is slow to use with its left/right
reversal. The 2x magnification helps a lot when focusing though.

The Zuiko 500/8 is almost as difficult to focus. I missed the focus with
the camera mounted on a tripod and having plenty of time to focus.
However I was using the standard 1-13 screen.

I haven't found vibration to be too much of a problem with mirror lenses
(always used a tripod) but it requires attention. I recently replaced my
tripod head because of vibration with my Tamron. Heat waves become very
apparent with all long lenses. On a mild day the difference in
temperature between water and air can create heat waves that will make
photography impossible.

If you are wanting a long telephoto and can handle the size I would
recommend the Tamron 400 f4. It works very well with the Zuiko 1.4X
teleconverter giving a 560mm f5.6 of excellent quality. The lens is not
too heavy but it is pretty big (112mm front element). It is much faster
to focus than a mirror lens.
http://www.jeff-keller.com/monarchs/monarchs.htm

I haven't tried the Zuiko 400 with a 1.4X teleconverter yet. If it can
give the quality of the Tamron 400 with 1.4X, it would probably be a
better compromise than the mirror lenses unless size is very important.
The test reports of that combination weren't too promising though if
IRRC.

Celestron made a 750mm f6 mirror lens that seems to be noticeably easier
to use. I believe Honeywell also sold one years ago that had excellent
ratings. Mine came with a fogged front element that I haven't had time
to remove and clean yet. I've only shot a dozen pictures with it so far
but they looked pretty promising. It is reasonably short, fairly light,
but a pretty big diameter.

The donut bokeh isn't the only limitation. With dramatically varying
colors in the background the bokeh can be pretty ugly. The baylands
where I like to take pictures of birds often has some small leaved
plants whose colors range from a orange brown to green. Even with a good
lens the bokeh is not great but with the mirror lenses it can be ugly.

I'm far from giving up on the mirror lenses but I grab the Tamron
whenever I can carry it.

-jeff

If IRRC C.H. had an interesting photo taken using the Zuiko 500/8. It
showed smoke rings.