Re: [OM] Olympus Bellows Spares

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Bellows Spares
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:11:09 -0500
Basic information although I am NOT familiar with this specific part:
This is a materials problem. Nylon, especially older formulations, tends to become brittle with age, used or not. No doubt your spittle is powerful : ^ )), but it won't put Humpty Dumpty back together again......... Likewise, nylon even with UV inhibitors is quite sensitive to UV. The beauty of nylon is the easy machining characteristics. Today, the part would probably be manufactured from an olefin or polycarbonate starting material and outlast you. Unless a complex injection molded configuration, the best and probably cheapest would be to find someone with a good home/garage machine shop to make a replacement from scrap pieces of a superior plastic. Your local plastic supply warehouse will sell scrap dirt cheap by the pound. My guess is that John H could facilitate or market if there was a pent up demand for a couple dozen pieces.
Regards,
Bill