Re: [OM] ( OM ) A challenge for Digital cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) A challenge for Digital cameras
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 22:04:53 -0400
I spent about 45 minutes today in the camera store again, this time looking
at the Olympus C5060, and comparing it to the C5050. I asked about cold
weather, and the salesman had quite a bit to say about it. Their
recommendation, based on the what the manufacturers are saying, is that you
shouldn't use a digital below 0 C., or 32 F. And it is not just the problem
of the batteries failing. He related a story of bringing a very cold camera
into a warm house, and condensation forming in the electronics, causing
serious problems. I was a bit skeptical on that one, but I guess it might be
possible. I usually put my OM cameras in a plastic bag to warm up when I
come in out of the cold, but that is when the temperature is more like 20 C.
below, not the relatively warm freezing point.
His suggestion was to keep it under your coat, and just bring it out for a
brief moment to shoot. Obviously that is really inviting condensation when
it is 20 below, imo.
If they aren't practical below the freezing point, guess I may as well wait
another 5 months, as we won't see it much warmer than that here (Canada :-)
Wayne