[OM] Re: OT Efficient Flushing, was What is Bokeh????- was - I could be

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Efficient Flushing, was What is Bokeh????- was - I could be convinced
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:38:10 -0800
Not really the right solution. The flush volume can be reduced, but the
amount of reduction possible with reliable flushing is modest. I didn't
measure it, but internal markings seem to indicate that the old toilet
was designed for 6 gal/fl. I have had it set lower for years, but
probably no less tha 5 gal. Below that, it don't work right. The new one
uses 1.6 gal., a very substantial reduction. There are significant
design changes in the newer designs that allow effective flushing at
very low volumes. Typical inner diameter of the plumbing hs gone up from
1 1/8" to 2", an increase of crossection area of over 300%. Some also
advertise that the internal passages are glazed, revealing that they
weren't in the past. That amounts to a huge change in resistance to flow
of solids. If you look at them on display, you can see changes also in
the internal water paths vs the typical old design of a simple trap.

Moose