[OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #60

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #60
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:57:13 -0800

>I picked up a handmade brass OM => EOS adapter from Macau on the 'Bay.
>Stephen Sharf has been kind enough to loan me his D60 for a week for
>play and learning.

<SNIP>

>My general impressions is that one can take very fine images with OM
>mount lenses on DSLRs. Of course, we have C.H.'s results from his D300
>and Stephen's motor sports pics, but iI gave his D60 a change of pace
>taking pics of mostly stationary things.

<SNIP>

>  Some of the
>others were cropped before downsampling and others were downsampled from
>the full frame. I did some histogram, brightness and contrast adjustment
>to some, but no sharpening.  Mostly shot at f8 or smaller apertures for DOF.

Moose,
Canon's D-SLRs apply no sharpening "in-camera", preferring to leave
it up the photographer as to how much sharpening to appy in
post-production. Better to do none than too much, as you can't take
away sharpening once it is applied. All images from Canon D-SLRs
should be sharpened, at least a little. Depending on the image
scaling, I apply sharpening based on output. For web, where one is
downsampling, I apply less, for upsampling, I apply more, using Fred
Miranda's custom D60 Sharpening action. I always sharpen after up- or
down-sampling so as  to avoid resampling sharpening artifacts.

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!