[OM] OM lenses and digital sensors

Subject: [OM] OM lenses and digital sensors
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:25:23 -0800
I agree. I think that there are problems with wide angle lenses and
both Canon and Nikon have issued reformulated wide angle lenses with
lots of exotic glass and design since the introduction of digital SLRs.
They haven't had to reformulate their other lenses for digital. I think
Olympus just decided it should apply to all their lenses as a marketing
ploy. But, like you say, apparently OM lenses make fine images.

The thing that may make Olympus claims more plausible is their choice
of a smaller sensor and the 2X multiplier. A 24mm WA becomes the
equivalent of a 50mm on an E-1 with all the problems that are
acceptable in WA but not in a normal lens such as slower speed, less
sharpness and contrast, maybe some barrel distortion, etc. Maybe not
such a good idea. The 24mm on a camera with a bigger sensor and a 1.5
multiplier gives a not so drastic 36mm equivalent.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA