[OM] Minolta 5400 first impressions

Subject: [OM] Minolta 5400 first impressions
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:49:23 +0000
Since the thing has been out of the box barely 24 hours, it's probably too soon
to make any profound pronouncements regarding its performance.  But I do have a
couple of preliminary observations.

1.  The Minolta software, despite some grumbles I have heard from others, is
quite good -- so good, in fact, that I haven't yet resorted to Vuescan.  I'll
try it in a day or two.   I just downloaded the latest update.

2.  The scans I'm getting at 5400dpi are so outstanding that I am now even
further from going digital than I thought I was.  There just simply ain't no
way any current digital camera I can afford and/or would consider buying can
equal the detail I'm getting from Fuji 100F and Kodachrome slides.

3.  An important feature of this scanner is the same as what I consider to be
one of the most important features of the OM cameras: MANUAL FOCUS!  The auto
focus produces excellent scans, but I haven't done one yet that hasn't been
improved by focusing the scanner manually.  I don't think I would ever consider
a scanner without this.

So far, so good -- and pretty damn good, too!  Later today, I'm going to make a
few big prints (11"x14" or so) on the Epson 2200.  If you hear a "holy s**t!"
from this direction, it could be me.  :-)

Walt