[OM] Coatings - 50/1.8

Subject: [OM] Coatings - 50/1.8
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 18:18:12 +1000
Now, for those of you who haven't been on the list more than a couple
of years, here's what it used to look like in the days before OT
postings! Hold on tight. The classic coating discussion!

I'm sitting looking at four 50/1.8's for various reasons. Now, gullible
character that I am, I assumed that the green reflection was the test
of multicoating but I noticed something very odd here.
The latest 5 million serial MIJ shows NO green - just gold, blue
(front), magenta.
A 3.9 mill. MIJ is identical.
A 2.66 mill. MC has a magenta rather than blue front coating but from
the rear, it is possible though difficult to pick up one internal green
surface.
However, a 2.83 million MC has a green front coating and an internal
green reflection visible from both ends.
Neither MC has a blue reflection. Was the blue used to replace the
green in the MIJ?
So I checked all the others. 0.8 mill. 50/1.4, no green OR blue while
the 1.05 mill. does. All the rest some green (although light in the
300mm) except for the 16mm and 8mm.
What does this all mean? :-)
AndrewF
http://www.pbase.com/afildes