[OM] Doing my part

Subject: [OM] Doing my part
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 09:08:36 -0700 (PDT)
My wife's niece brought over a friend from college to help us
tear down some bushes. (vegetable variety, not presidental).

Anyway, in the discussions that ensued between bouts of chainsaw
use, I found out that he is a graphics arts in marketing major.
Obviously, he's pretty hip about digital imaging and editing.
Before they took off, we popped down in the darkroom and I
showed him a few prints and the tools I use.

He had some exposure to B&W photography through his uncle, years
ago, but had never pursued it personally.  He understood,
immediately, in looking at the photos that there was a look, an
emotion, and a subtlety that just isn't present in digital.

In a couple of weeks we're going to get together and shoot some
B&W film and see if we can get another convert to the
old-technology fold.  If it works out that he's interested in
pursuing this further I might see about brokering a sale of some
underloved OM-2N and a couple of lenses from this list.

Next week, when they come back to help us finish the job, he's
bringing his portfolio with him.  I see a look in his eye that
says to me that he's going to go far.  I'm excited about the
possibility of encouraging him and helping him.  I know that
I'll be able to learn design stuff from him too.  Excellent
attitude.

He did make an observation about my own work that I hadn't
realized.  His comments about my digital work (not knowing which
was digital and which was from 35mm) was that the digital
pictures were more "bold", but the 35mm pictures "pulled me in".
 In looking at what he was saying, I realized that their is a
definite 3D look to my Olympus pictures that isn't present in
the digital shots.  I suspect that part of that is the
technology (sensor vs film) but a lot of it is my own
interaction with the subject during the composing of the photo.

AG