[OM] Re: Digital sharpening.

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital sharpening.
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:12:31 -0400
Cc: I@xxxxxxxxxxx
There are many reviews of sharpening tools out there.  I'd try searching the
archives on big sites like dpreview.com and photo.net and a Google search for
sharpening tool comparisons.  Also try the Luminous Landscape; the guy who runs
that site has had more than one article on SOTA sharpening products.

Make sure you look at the PS actions out there that do edge-sharpening before
spending the big bucks on a tool.  PS has very nice capabilities in this area.
I've used some actions from Fred Miranda, Johnny Deadman (John Brownlow), one
called "Edge Sharpen".  I'm sure there are many others.  One article here:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/smart_sharp.shtml

I'd recommend doing your own comparisons on a number of images with 5-10
different types of tools before spending a lot of money.  Make sure you choose
a variety of subjects: portraits, landscapes with lots of detail, grainy/noisy
pictures, and some that are slightly out of focus, among other.

The tools that I remember hearing good things about and their LL review links:
- nik Sharpener Pro
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/software/nic_sharpner.shtml
- FocalBlade http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/software/focalblade.shtml
- Photo Kit Sharpener