[OM] X-Prize Launch date pushed back [some OM, fer sure...]

Subject: [OM] X-Prize Launch date pushed back [some OM, fer sure...]
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:20:12 -0600
Blast!

The Canadian da Vinci team, who were planning to launch their contender for the
X-Prize from Kindersley, Saskatchewan next weekend (Oct. 2nd), has pushed back
their launch date with no definite re-scheduling.  Apparently, they still don't
have a couple of critical parts for the craft.

Well, there goes my eagerly-awaited opportunity to give my OMs a workout next
weekend.  **SIGH**  Oh well, I can use the time to visit family and friends in
Edmonton.  I sure hope the da Vinci crew's not planning to launch in the middle
of January, though...

Garth

P.S.:  "What's the X-Prize?" I hear some of you ask.  It's the 10 megabuck
prize for the first privately-owned and -financed launch vehicle to go into
space.  Canada's got two contenders (da Vinci and Arrow), both of whom are in
danger of getting snookered if they let Rutan and Co. (SpaceShipOne) get too
far ahead of the curve...

See:
http://www.wired.com/news/space/0,2697,65078,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_3