[OM] Re: Northern Lights

Subject: [OM] Re: Northern Lights
From: "David D Miller" <olympus-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:39:04 -0000
> There was quite a show here in the early hours today.  The
> whole sky was
> practically on fire.  (44° 28' N   73° 9' W)
>
> I dragged out my OM-1 and 21mm to see what I might get with
> some Fuji 800.
>  Hopefully more than just a blur.

The 21mm f3.5 is my lens of choice for auroras - wide enough to get a large
chunk of sky.  I didn't have a camera handy on Sunday night, but did get
some half-decent photos from a good display about this time last year:
http://gallery29009.fotopic.net/c74550.html
(I think it was an OM-2SP, probably 400ASA film, aperture priority, and
using the self-timer to avoid camera shake.  Exposure times were several
seconds and more, with the camera balanced on whatever I could find.)

> The effect can't be captured on film, I think.  You have to be there.

What you get on film is often enough to show others what they missed.  But
it doesn't even come close to seeing the real thing.

David D Miller