[OM] Re: New member with question about 100/F2

Subject: [OM] Re: New member with question about 100/F2
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:23:10 -0000
What the list have told you is correct, Brian.  All 100mm lenses have the
same DoF.  It depends how D0F is defined - and what you are seeing (that to
Zuiko 100/2 seems to have less DoF than comparable lenses) is simply a
deonstration that the Zuiko (with modern film) is capable of resolving (and
distinguishing between) details sharper than the conventional definition of
DoF ever envisaged.  A lesser lens cannot resolve the differences between
those sharper details but we do not notice, thanks to the DoF.

The eye does not notice the absolute degree of sharpness of details in an
image, but can pick up in an instant the difference between in- and
out-of-focus detail.  That is what the Zuiko 100/2 is showing you (and it is
also showing the shortcomings of a principle (DoF) defined in the 1920s (if
I remember correctly) .

--
Piers