[OM] Computing security - OT - and stuff

Subject: [OM] Computing security - OT - and stuff
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 14:51:18 +1100
At 02:34 PM 26/12/2004 +1300, Brian wrote:

><snip>
>I'm on the lookout for a new anti-virus program and a new anti-advertisement
>trojan protector.  Quite a blow to lose both within a few months of each
>other.
></snip>

Hi Brian,

I have been using AntiVir® Personal Edition from http://www.free-av.com/
and I can recommend it, it is fully-featured, works well and does not do
any of the nasty things that Norton's seems to do and is free for personal use.

The only thing that bugs me about it is the fact that I can't download the
new virus definition files by themselves, the internet updater insists on
downloading (and installing) the complete application every month but on my
256Kb DSL connection this only takes five minutes to complete.

As for an anti-trojan program, try Spybot S&D from
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22262,00.asp

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all.

Andrew McPhee