[OM] Photojournalism (was Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations)

Subject: [OM] Photojournalism (was Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations)
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 00:02:22 +1100
At 06:07 PM 2/02/2005 -0700, dan wrote:
>-- but it's very difficult (I find) to exclude extra background stuff but
>still
>leave enough there to remind me where I am; I can isolate a particular
>element of the location, but the trick is then getting that bit of the
>location _on its own_ to also give the sense of being there.

When I've taken holiday photos too often they're 'location' type photos -
places I'd been to, things I'd seen.

Just places and things.

I realized later that I missed out on getting photos of the people I'd met.
And when I think back on a holiday I realize that it was the various people
I'd encountered and interacted with along the way that made a holiday special.

But I hadn't photographed them, I was too busy taking pictures of the 'sights'.

As Dan mentioned, a beach is a beach. A cityscape is a cityscape. After a
while they tend to look a bit bland and lifeless.

Next holiday I go on I'm going to treat it like a photojournalism
assignment.  I'm going to try to take more pictures of the 'people' instead
of the 'places and things'.  I'm going to try and capture the essence of a
city by placing people in it rather than trying to exclude them and ending
up with a bunch of tourist photos.

So I'd suggest not using telephotos - use the wideangles.  Set the camera
on auto and hyperfocal and poke it into people's faces (in a nice way of
course).

As Alfred Eisenstaedt once said, "find and catch the storytelling moment."

Andrew McPhee